5/31/2012

Rebecca Black Donating 'Friday' Proceeds to Japan

YouTube singing star Rebecca Black is using her overnight fame for a good cause.

The 13-year-old singer, who touched off a nerve with her budget hit, "Friday," told Us magazine she will donate the profits of her iTunes song to emergency relief efforts in Japan as well as to her school.

"I am donating money to my school and Japan," she recently revealed.
The Anaheim, Calif., teen's song, which has been dubbed by many as "the worst song ever" for its monotonous lyrics and heavy use of auto-tune, has attracted more than 40 million views on YouTube.

"My school, El Rancho Charter, is really where I started focusing on singing," she said. "I feel bad. Japan happened so close to mine, and I feel like I'm taking attention from it. I really just want to give back."

While the amateur music critics have savaged the teen, whose mother paid $2,000 to get the song recorded and video made, superstar producer Simon Cowell and Lady Gaga beg to differ.

"I love her [and] the fact that she's gotten so much publicity. People are so upset about the song, but I think it's hysterical," Cowell told People magazine.

"Anyone who can create this much controversy within a week, I want to meet. I love people like that," he added.

Lady Gaga called the cyber-bullied singer "a genius."

Black has already planned the follow-up to the Internet smash single: a song called "LOL." She's also recording a full album, NME reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment